Saturday, October 17, 2009

#13 - Week 6 - Everything's Deli.cio.us, Thank You

Deli.cio.us is a useful site for sharing information and taking part in discussions with others who share the same interests or information needs. Specifically using the SJLibraryLearning2 account, I clicked on several bookmarks and found a ton of useful articles and other bits of information about libraries and the profession in general. I found the comments other users added about particular bookmarks pretty easily.

The only reservation I have - and that may be too harsh of a term - is that sometimes tags can lead a user or searcher astray. If I'm looking for an article about a topic, how I would choose to tag the main idea or theme of the article will differ from others. No tag is right or wrong - the importance of the tag is in the eye of the beholder. In that way, I might miss out on some useful articles because the tag that I click on isn't exactly related to what I'm searching for. I noticed that some of the articles on the SJLibraryLearning2 site were tagged by terms that seemed only loosely related. Of course, that's my opinion. I guess that's my point. Do you see what I'm saying?

The Courtney chapters brought up good points about that little snag, though. Basically, if you're searching for a specific article, you're going to use the title or author as a keyword search. If you're searching for a general article about a topic, using what seems to be a loosely related tag is still probably going to generate a decent amount of useful information. It might take an extra step or two, but you'll get there pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment